Irving and Aaronel deRoy Gruber Foundation opens new headquarters/gallery
search
ArtJewish artist featured in new space

Irving and Aaronel deRoy Gruber Foundation opens new headquarters/gallery

Foundation to promote work of Gruber and other regional artists

Gallery opening event (Photo by Amy Fisher)
Gallery opening event (Photo by Amy Fisher)

The Irving and Aaronel deRoy Gruber Foundation has announced its new location at the Ice House Studios (100 43rd St., Unit 114, Lawrenceville). Artworks by Pittsburgh-based Jewish artist Aaronel deRoy Gruber (1918-2011) will be exhibited.

The Irving and Aaronel deRoy Gruber Foundation was established in 2000 to support and promote the artwork of Gruber “and to engage Pittsburgh-based and regional artists and initiatives connected to photography,
sculpture and painting,” according to a press release. The Foundation’s new headquarters and gallery will be a space to accomplish that mission through “exhibitions, programming and interactions with audiences and art world professionals locally, nationally and internationally.”

On view at the Foundation at its inaugural exhibition, which opened Jan. 24, are nearly a hundred works by Gruber and materials from her studio, covering primarily the 1960s-1980s period of Gruber’s practice. The exhibit includes a range of the artist’s sculptures, abstract expressionist paintings, wearable sculptural accessories and photographs.

An outdoor installation of 10 large-scale solid steel and aluminum sculptures, which the artist crafted in conjunction with American Forge & Manufacturing Co., McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania, is also onsite.
The gallery will be accessible by appointment and during periodic open studio dates, with rotating exhibitions and projects. pjc

— Toby Tabachnick

read more:
comments