The Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh and the Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh are partnering with Vitalant and American Friends of Magen David Adom to host blood drives to ensure the local blood supply remains high in case blood needs to be transported to Israel.
These efforts are part of a tenure Contingency Agreement in place since 2018 between U.S. blood centers and Magen David Adom.
“In Judaism it is a mitzvah to save a life,” said Laura Cherner, director of the Federation’s Community Relations Council. “Not only do these blood drives save lives but they also demonstrate solidarity with the people of Israel at this difficult time. I believe that this partnership will inspire a significant number of individuals who have never donated blood before.”
The JCC has hosted nearly 100 blood drives in partnership with Vitalant over the past five years
Four blood drives are scheduled for the following dates and locations:
JCC Squirrel Hill, Katz Theater, 5738 Darlington Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15217
• Tuesday, Nov, 7, 12 noon – 6 p.m.
• Thursday, Nov. 30, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
• Tuesday, Dec. 5, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
JCC South Hills, gymnasium, 345 Kane Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15243
• Monday, Nov. 20, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Appointments are strongly encouraged. To schedule an appointment:
• Visit vitalant.org, click on the “Make an Appointment” button and search w/group
code UC189 for Squirrel Hill and UC438 for JCC South Hills
• or download the Vitalant-Pittsburgh mobile app on your smartphone
• or call 877.25. VITAL (877-258-4825). PJC